Weekly Grumble - Micro Transactions


Are Microtransactions as bad as they seem?



Sadly, for me, it's for worse.

Just to be clear, I'm treating downloadable content and microtransactions separately, even though some DLC can be a little bit naughty.

The new Harry Potter mobile game has perfectly highlighted how microtransactions can be misused - needing energy is nothing new for mobile games but this strikes far too often and soon in this game that it's a game breaker for me early in, even though I absolutely love Harry Potter. It's already become a meme it's that........ sorry I just had to rest there as I'd run out of energy....where was I again, ah yes, clicking repeatedly until I run out of...

It seems I wasn't alone - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/harry-potter-hogwarts-mystery-review 

This article - http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a855729/fifa-18-overwatch-loot-boxes-criminalised-for-promoting-gambling/ - also perfectly highlights the issue, of microtransactions, can be a form of gambling especially for those who struggle to restrain themselves. I for one have bought the odd FIFA points in the hope of getting some decent players in the ultimate team mode.

Paying to win is a misuse and corrupts the game in my eyes. I don't really care if it's cosmetic only, as those who choose to pay for a different outfit are a little silly but it's their money. Same can be said for time saver packs in single player modes - if you want to speed up progress, knock yourself out.

Sadly, star wars battlefront 2 received extortion amounts of hate with a system that's becoming increasingly common and they were naive to think no one would notice.

I can't see this stopping anytime soon unless more countries take the proactive action to outlaw microtransactions.

But, in a world of consumer choice, aren't we at fault for microtransactions ever taking off? The surge of mobile gaming came from the first few major games introducing microtransactions, and we as gamers, or rather the casual mobile gamer audience, lapped up the microtransactions and in some cases spend thousands.

The only way this will ever stop is if we vote with our wallets, and sadly, I don't think everyone has the restraint of the few.

Now, DLC isn't completely blameless for this cultural, thinking back to the infamous horse armour pack of Elder Scrolls Oblivion, whilst largely mocked, it still sold fairly well and we're much further down the road now where an alternative outfit is practically a given to cost extra. Also, I despise pre-order bonuses! Mainly because they cut content from a game - I have no issue with post-game DLC, but when content is blatantly cut before the game is released, then it stings, a lot.

Comments

Popular Posts