PS4 - Far Cry 5 - Review

Are you even playing Far Cry if you aren't being chased by a honey badger (Wolverines in this case) shouting at the tv for it to leave you alone?

Take away line:

You're more likely to remember those random in-game moments than you are the story, but in this case, that's definitely not a bad thing.

I'm near the end of my initial playthrough of Far Cry 5, so feel fairly confident in my review.

Gameplay:

I'll be honest, it's your standard Far Cry affair. You want to snipe someone with a bow from 150m? Go right ahead. Want to set a bear off into an outpost and cause havoc? Knock yourself out. Want to try to be sneaky and have all hell break loose? Happens pretty regularly.

Fishing is a nice side addition, I don't make much to the stunts but there is only a few. Collectables are kept to a nice amount this time and you have to get one of each of them for the trophy which is a nice change really.

Shooting feels a lot better this time around, although the flying still feels a little bit loose I suppose you can't have everything.

Plenty of weapons to keep you going and the challenges that gain perk points mix it up quite nicely (he says with only 3 challenges left to do).

I'm yet to touch the arcade aspect, I'm saving that till I've finished with the single player aspect!

Graphics:

The screenshot says it all - this game is incredible. They're moments when walking through the forest when you could be forgiven for forgetting that you were playing a game... then a cougar attacks you and a small pinch of reality sets in - I mean it could happen in real life? Granted I don't hear about many honey badger attacks in the world, but I'm not ruling it out.

Now that I've found there is kind of a photo mode, I'm even happier.
-Equip the binoculars, toggle hud off, and there you go! (not a proper photo mode but it will do).

There have been many times already where I have just stopped and gawped at the in-game world - graphics have come along way in recent months.

It's worth noting as well, I've not seen any framerate dips or texture pop in, which is a nice change.

Grumbles:

Character models, it feels like there are only around 5 different models in this game? Particularly after bumping into the same wandering salesperson 10 times with the same model...

And although I understand why they did it, it has a habit of forcing you into story missions if you end up gaining too many resistance points, then next thing you know your character passes out and you're locked in a cell.

Conclusion:

If you enjoyed the previous Far Cry games, then you'll most likely enjoy this too. If you've never played the series before then I'd say its the perfect time to jump in and experience the chaos of Far Cry.

Add in the fact the season pass is going to offer 3 major DLC and Far Cry 3, it's a really good deal (Ubisoft either produce excellent post-launch content or completely fail to deliver so it is always a gamble with them).

Comments

Popular Posts